COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

Is it complicated to renew a US passport issued in foreign country?

by John
(Upper Gwynedd, PA.)

Question: About 10 years ago our passports (mine and my wife's) were stolen in Nice, France. Our replacement passports were then issued at the US Consulate in Marseilles, France will expire November of this year.

These passports do not have bar codes, they are the old "perforated number" type. Question: Will we have any problem in renewing these passports, either at the Philadelphia Regional Office or by one of the online renewal services? Please advise.

Answer: As long as your passports are not damaged in any way, you should have no problem renewing them by mail, at the regional agency or through a professional expediting service. For more information, click the links below.

Passport Renewal by Mail

Philadelphia Passport Agency

Apply Online to Expedite Passport Renewal

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!