Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Is father's signature required to get passprt for a child?

by Paulajean
(Riverside, Ca, USA)

Question: My daughter's father is not on her birth certificate, but he pays child support. Also, paternity has been established. He refuses to sign the documents to help get her passport. I have sent him the document through UPS and postal.

Thank you in advance.

Answer: Establishing paternity does not necessarily establish custody. Paying child support does not establish custody. If you have sole legal custody, then you can apply for a passport for your daughter without the consent of the father. All you need to do is present the birth certificate without the father's name on it when you submit the application.

It is possible to establish paternity with child custody, parenting time and support. If the father was granted shared custody at the time paternity was established, then you must obtain his written, notarized consent in order to apply for your daughter's passport.

Note, many countries require one parent traveling with a minor child to carry notarized consent to travel from the non-traveling parent or evidence of sole legal custody. If you travel with your daughter but without the father, you need to take the birth certificate with you to prove sole legal custody. If the father has joint custody, you need to take a notarized consent to travel form from him.

Please consult your lawyer for legal advice. For more information, click the link below.

Apply for a Child's Passport

Comments for Is father's signature required to get passprt for a child?

Click here to add your own comments

Passport for minor
by: Anonymous

Question: Do I need a permission from the father to get a passport for my child? My kid's dad is a Brazilian cititzen. He does not pay child support and he does not reside in America. I have tried, many times to get him to sign the needed documents, but he refuses and even gets aggressive.

Answer: If the father is listed your child's birth certificate, then his consent is required. If he refuses to provide the consent, you can contact the nearest family court to see if a judget can bypass his signature or obligate him to provide the consent. We also recommend you consult an attorney.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!