This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

If I am applying in person for child, can I renew in person as well?

by Tara
(Seattle, WA, USA)

Question: My husband and I both need to renew our passports, his has expired and I actually just need a name change. But we need to get one for our 1 1/2 year old as well. Since we have to apply for his in person, can we take ours in person as well still using the DS-82 form? Or should we use the DS-11 form even though the criteria do not match?

Answer: The answer depends on where you plan to submit the application for your child. If you plan to apply at a passport application acceptance facility, then you cannot submit the applications for renewals. You may be able to mail them from the same place since many post offices serve as acceptance facilities.

The local passport application acceptance facilities do not process passport applications. Agents at these locations only administer an oath and witness the signing of the applications. This only needs to be done when applying for a new passport but not for renewals. Applications are then sent to processing centers.

If you plan to submit the application for your child's passport for expedited service at the Seattle Passport Agency, then you can submit the applications for renewal at the same time. Note, the regional agency only attends to American citizens who need to expedite passports in two weeks or less.

The form you submit does not depend on where you apply but on the service you need. If you are applying for a passport renewal, you must use Form DS-82 whether you send the application by mail or submit it in person at the Seattle Passport Agency.

Routine service takes 4-6 weeks. Expedited service by mail takes 2-3 weeks. Expedited processing at a regional agency can be done as quickly as the same day.

How to Get a Child's Passport

Applying for Passport Renewals

Seattle Passport Agency

Get Passports Fast

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.