This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. FTC Disclosure: We may be compensated if you make a purchase via a link on this site.

I need a renewal on my passport without waiting weeks.

by karen
(Lansing, Michigan.usa)

Question: I travel between Michigan and Ontario, Canada bi-weekly for family. I need a passport to go across the border. My passport expires in July.

How can I renew my passport without sending it in the mail and waiting weeks? I would like to go to an office, pay my fee and get my RENEWED passport right away.

Can you help?

Answer: You have two options in order to renew your passport.

1. Apply for a new passport card using form DS-11.

The passport card is restricted to land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean region.

Since you already have a passport, you could use Form DS-82 to get the passport card but that would require you to send in your passport book along with the application.

Using Form DS-11 will allow you to keep your passport book while the application for a passport card is being processed. Regular processing takes 4-6 weeks.

However, this will require you to submit the application at a local acceptance facility. There are two in Lansing. Click the link to open a window with a map.

Delta Township
7710 W. Saginaw Highway
Lansing, MI 48917

Lansing City Clerks Ofice
124 W. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
(517) 4834131

To apply for the passport card, take the completed but unsigned application form, proof of citizenship, proof of identity, photocopy of identity, and one passport photo to the agent at the acceptance facility. Take the oath and sign the application. The fee for a new passport card is $30 plus the $25 execution fee.

Once your card arrives, I recommend you begin the process to renew your passport book by mail.

2. Apply at the Detroit Passport Agency.

You first have to make an appointment by calling toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 which is available 24 hours/day.

In this case, you will be applying for a renewal using form DS-82. All you need is the application form, your current passport and a passport photos. If your name has changed since your current passport was issued, you will have to submit legal documentation to this fact as well. The fee is $110 for the passport book plus another $60 for expedited services.

You can request a passport card at the same time your renew your passport book even if it is your first card. Again, the fee for the card is $30.

Detroit Passport Agency
211 West Fort Street
Detroit, MI 48226-3269

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport for Travel to Canada.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!