Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

I have a 3 month emergency passport

by Marsha
(Kansas City, MO)

Question: I am presently in the USA. I have a 3 month emergency passport that was issued to me in Israel recently (April). I will be leaving the States to Israel on May 30 and traveling back to the USA on Aug. 21. Since my present passport expires on July 18 and cannot be extended, what is best for me to do so that when I leave on May 30 I will have my new passport?

Thank you!

Answer: In order to replace the limited-validity (emergency) passport with a full-validity passport, you must mail:

* Your most recent U.S. passport

* Completed Form DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement

* The necessary documentation as specified by Passport Services. If your passport was issued under 22 CFR 51.41, you also need to submit proof of citizenship. If your passport was issued under 22 CFR 51.28, you need to submit proof of identity. Check your emergency passport for this information.

* one recent, color Passport Photograph

to the address listed on Form DS-5504.

Routine service takes 4-6 weeks. You can request expedited service and get your passport in 2-3 weeks. There is no fee to replace the emergency passport but there is a $60 expedited service fee is you choose to use it.

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 10 and 13 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 7 to 9 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Expedite Your Passport Now!