This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

I can't renew my US passport because I have a UK settlement visa

by Anita

Question: Hi, I would like to change my last name on my passport as soon as possible. I am currently in Northern Ireland, UK. I have plans to have my wedding ceremony in HK at the end of March to April. Is it really a big problem if I change back my last name before my wedding date?

Here's my situation :

I was born in HK. I have HK birth cert. My HK ID was under my birth cert - my maiden name. I immigrated to the USA in 1989. I changed my last name from maiden to my ex husband's last name in the United States. My citizenship, passport and all banking & legal documents have this last name on them.

I was divorced and remarried 2010; but i didn't changed my last name back to my maiden.

I got married to a UK citizen. I applied for my UK settlement visa and it was granted; UK visa with permission to stay in the UK on my US passport.

My questions are:

I already have a marriage certificate that shows both my maiden name and my US passport name. However, my legal name in UK should be followed the US passport name; May I change my last name back to maiden? or My new husband last name, which is the easier and faster legally proper method to do?

Answer: U.S. passports can only be issued in your current legal name. If you have assumed the name of your husband, then you need to apply for a passport using that name. Since your marriage certificate shows the change from your maiden name to your husband's name and your passport has your ex-husband's last name on it, you will probably need to present evidence of the change from your ex-husband's last name to your maiden name (e.g., divorce decree) and, then, the change from your maiden name to your current last name (e.g., marriage certificate).

Please make an appointment at the American consulate for further assistance.

U.S. Consulate General in Belfast

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.