This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. FTC Disclosure: We may be compensated if you make a purchase via a link on this site.

I applied for an expedited passport and was turned down because of child support that I don't owe.

by Timothy
(Kannapolis, NC)

Question: Last February 9, I applied for expedited passport. On February 22, I received a letter stating that I was ineligible because I was in arrears of child support.

I called the state child support enforcement agency and they have no record of me. I am a single dad with full physical and legal custody of my son, and no claim has ever been filed against me. I assume that someone misread my social security number or something.

I will be traveling to Cancun, Mexico on March 6 and have yet to be contacted by anyone. I would really like to get this taken care of as soon as possible, since I am past the deadline to cancel my trip. Please I just need someone to contact me so that this can be cleared up.

Answer: I suggest you contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 and speak with one of the representatives. Explain the situation and ask her to verify the Social Security number on the application.

Passport applicants who owe more than $2500 in child support must pass through a process in which they enter into an agreement with the state agency for payment of the arrears. The state agency, in turn, informs the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services of the fact. HSS then informs that State Department.

You many want to contact HSS to check their records. North Carolina is in Region 4 of HSS's Administration for Children and Family which has its regional office in Atlanta, Georgia. The phone number is 404-562-2800.

If, for some reason, you are unable to clear this up by phone, it may be necessary to visit a regional agency. Unfortunately, the closest one is the Washington DC Passport Agency. If this is necessary, it is recommended that you obtain and take with you an official document from the State Child Support Enforcement Agency stating that you do not owe any child support.

Comments for I applied for an expedited passport and was turned down because of child support that I don't owe.

Click here to add your own comments

child support I dont owe
by: Anonymous

Thank you for the information, I was able to clear things up, and I will now have a chance to go on my vacation. Again thank you very much.


You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it resolved. Have a great vacation.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports and Child Support Issues.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!