Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

I am not getting divorced but want to revert to my maiden name.

by Marianne
(Greenwich, CT USA)

Question: After I was married, I began the process of changing my name to my married name. I decided to continue to use my maiden name professionally. I am a doctor and all of my licensing exams and board certifications are in my maiden name. Now, I have to take board re-certification exams. I need a proper photo ID to be allowed into the test- a license or passport. This issue has made me decide to change back to my maiden name.

Answer: Passports are issued in the current legal names of the applicants. If your name was legally changed at marriage, then your passport will be issued in this name.

There are two ways to include your maiden name in your passport as your current legal name. One, apply for a court order to change your name and then submit this along with your application.

Two, present an acceptable identification reflecting your maiden name and original or certified copies of three or more public documents evidencing that you have used the your maiden name generally for five years or longer. The documentary evidence, which must show the use of your maiden name and one other piece of identifying data, (such as date of birth, place of birth, age, or Social Security number), may include but are not limited to the following documents:

(1) Driver’s licenses or non-driver State-issued I.D.;
(2) Military records;
(3) Employment records;
(4) Tax records;
(5) School records;
(6) Census record;
(7) Hospital birth record; and
(8) Baptismal certificate.

Affidavits executed by two or more persons attesting that they have known you by both names, and that you have used your maiden name for all purposes for at least five years, may be provided in place of one of the public documents, if you cannot obtain a third public record.

If you have used your maiden name for less than five years, it may be included as a “known as” name if documentary evidence as listed above is provided.

If you currently have a passport and need to renew it with the name change, click the link below>

Passport Renewal with Name Change

If you do not have a passport or your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago, click the link below.

New Passport Requirements

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.