This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How to get a US passport for a baby born in India to a Tibetan mother?

by Leon
(Seattle, Wa)

Question: I was visiting India and met a Tibetan woman, we spent much time together and we now have a new baby.

I came back to the US for 3 months and returning to India on February next year. I have some information on how to obtain the baby's passport such as birth certificate and records of going to the doctor. I have found her a nice apartment and have records from the owner that I rented it.

I need information on how long it takes to get the passport and how much it costs. The baby is 1 month old, when should we take her to the American embassy in Delhi?

Thanks for your help.

Answer: You can visit the American embassy as soon as you have all the required documents. There is no set wait period. You are encouraged to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child. You can apply for this and the passport for your child at the same time as well as a Social Security card.

When you have all the documents ready, you need to schedule an interview at the embassy. You must take the following original items:

* Proof of identity and citizenship.
* Child's original birth certificate issued by the local authorities (including English translation, if applicable).
* Two photos of the child, 2" x 2" in size and taken against a light background.
* Prenatal and hospital records.
* Marriage certificate or other proof of relationship prior to the child’s conception.
* Evidence of five years of physical presence in the U.S.

Passport fees for a child include an application fee of $80 and an execution fee of $25 or $105 total. The fee for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100.

For a more detailed list of requirements and a link to schedule the interview, click the link below.

U.S. Embassy in India - Reporting Birth and Passports

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.