Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

How should we prepare our passports?

by Karen Van....
(Rocklin, CA)

Question: Our last name starts with Van, has a space, and then the rest of our last name appears. Our licenses and my husband's social security card show the name without a space. His birth certificate and my social security card show it split, as does our marriage certificate. What should we do on the passport? Since our licenses are the other main form of ID, is it best to put it together as it appears on the licenses?

Answer: Since the difference is not one of spelling but the presence or absence of a space, you can use the one you prefer. Be aware that you may face problems either way. It is not likely, but it is possible.

When applying for a new passport, you must submit both evidence of U.S. citizenship and proof of identity. The documents most frequently used for this are a birth certificate (citizenship) and driver's license (identity).

If Passport Services requests more documents to support the use of the name, you will need to submit 3 or more public records that show exclusive use of the name for at least 5 years.

You may consider correcting the name on your driver's license and social security card before applying for a passport. Click the links below for more information.

California Driver's License Corrections

Social Security Office Locator

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.