COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

How do I replace a lost passport and change name to my married name?

by Gloria
(Winder, GA, USA)

Question: I lost my passport in a recent move from one home to another. In the meantime, I have married and now need to change my name to my married name. How do I replace my passport with the new name?

Answer: You first need to report he loss of your passport if it had not yet expired. You can do this by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

Then, you need to apply for a new passport by submitting the completed but unsigned application Form DS-11 at a passport application acceptance facility along with all supporting documents and payment for fees.

In order to apply for a passport in your new name, you also need to submit the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate which proves the legal name change.

For complete instructions, click the link below.

Apply for a New Passport

To locate a passport office near you, click the link below.

Georgia Passport Offices

Comments for How do I replace a lost passport and change name to my married name?

Click here to add your own comments

Do I have to wait for cancellation confirmation?
by: Anonymous

Question: Do I have to wait for passport cancellation confirmation before applying for a new passport?

Answer: There is no need. You may proceed to applying for a new passport.

Where to get photo?
by: Lauren

Question: Does the ABQ Main Postal Office offer passport photos? If so, is there an additional fee? Or do I need to go to my local Walgreens?

Answer: The Albuquerque Main Post Office offers passport photo services. There is an additional fee. Please call 505-346-8484 for more information.

Marriage Certificate does not match birth certificate
by: liza

Question: I lost my passport a long time ago and I want also to change my status from single to married. The problem is my marriage certificate does not match my birth certificate. What to do?

Answer: Contact the National Passport Information Center by calling 1-877-487-2778.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!