COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

How do I renew my passport if I do not have the current passport?

by Lori
(Biglerville, PA)

Question: My daughter's passport expires this year and I would like to renew it for her. However, we realized too late that her passport was still in the backpack that she had used on her last trip. The backpack was thrown away because a cat at her father's house peed on it and I didn't want to dig through the bag. I just threw it away. I didn't realize her passport was still in that bag.

One other question, I was married in April and my passport was issued less than 1 year ago. Do I still have to send a photo even though the one on record on my current passport is recent and still looks exactly like me?

Thank you for your time.

Answer: If your daughter is unable to submit her most recent passport, then she will have to apply for new passport using Form DS-11. If she was a minor when her last passport was issued, she would have to do this anyway.

For complete instructions on how to get her a passport, click the link below.

How to Apply for a New Passport

If your daughter is age 15 or younger, there are special requirements that must be met. For more information, click the link below.

How to Get a Passport for a Minor

Concerning the name change in your passport, you only have to send a photo if your current passport was issued more than 90 days ago.

For more information and to download the form, click the link below.

Apply for a Passport Name Change

Comments for How do I renew my passport if I do not have the current passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Lost passport and misplaced U.S. citizenship Certificate
by: LEST

Question: How do I renew a lost passport? I'm a U.S. citizen but the first time in 1983 when I received my first passport, my brother and I never got the U.S. citizenship certificates back. The second time, I renewed it was 9 or 10 years ago. To replace the U.S. citizenship certificate is really expensive. And at this moment I don't know what to do. Can you please help. Thank you.

Answer: You may submit request for a file search with the rest of the application requirements. The result of the file search will be used as your evidence of U.S. citizenship. A fee of $150 (non-refundable) is required for the file search and must be paid in addition to the application and execution fees.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!