This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I renew my expired passport if I have gotten married?

by Michaela
(Terrell, Texas, USA)

Question: I accidentally let my passport expire, and since I was getting married (last week), I waited to get a new one. Now I'm planning a trip to Europe. How do I proceed? Can the process be done by mail? Can it be expedited? Thanks!

Answer: You can renew your passport by mail if you meet all the criteria. It is possible to apply for a passport renewal by mail even if your current passport is expired and your name has changed.

Is your current passport undamaged?

Was it issued within the last 15 years?

Was it issued when you were age 16 or older?

Can you legally document your name change?

If you answered yes to all of the questions above, then you can apply for a renewal by mail.

You can also expedite the process. You can do this in one of three ways.

One, you can simply write "expedite" on the outside of the envelope and include an additional $60 for the expedited service. Your renewed passport should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

How to Get a Passport Renewal

Two, you can make an appointment at the Dallas Passport Agency and submit the application yourself. Applications are usually processed the same day. However, you need proof of imminent travel to do this.

Dallas Passport Ageny

Three, you can authorize a professional passport expediter to submit your application at the regional agency for you. This is ideal if you need to get your passport renewed in 2 weeks or less and are unable to visit the regional agency yourself.

Rush Passport Expediting

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.