COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

How do I renew a child's expired passport?

by Lara
(Monterey, CA)

Question: How do I renew a child's passport which expired a year ago? (We are a military family and had them issued on a military installation.)

Answer: A passport for a minor can be obtained by submitting Form DS-11 at a passport application acceptance facility. Acceptance facilities are usually found in local post offices, county clerk's offices or public libraries.

Along with the application form, you must submit proof of U.S. citizenship, proof of relationship to the child, personal identification, a photocopy of your identification document and one passport photo.

Both parents must appear with the minor. If only one parent can appear, then the applying parent must submit either a notarized consent form from the non-applying parent or evidence of sole legal custody.

For a child's passport book, the application fee is $80 and the execution fee is $25. Expedited service is an additional $60.

For more information, click the links below.

How to Get a Child's Passport

Find an Application Acceptance Facility

Get Child's Passport in 24-48 Hours

Comments for How do I renew a child's expired passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Other parent claims expired passports are lost
by: Anonymous

Question: We need to get new passports for two minor children. Both had them, but they expired December of last year. When I start the renewal process, the issue date and passport number is required. The expired passports were in the possession of the other parent who claims they are in a box somewhere and will not be found. That we will need to file them as lost. How do I do this and get the children current passports in time for a trip in mid-Dec? We have been trying to get the expired ones for months, with no success.

Answer: The old passports do not need to be submitted with the application. Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed.

If the information is not available, you may leave the space on Form DS-11 blank. As long as the requirements for a child's passport are complete, there should be no issue.

If you apply soon, the passports should arrive in 4 to 6 weeks -- just in time for your mid-December trip.

Parents are apart
by: Anonymous

Question: What's the process to renew a child's expired passport when child is in a foreign country with one parent there and the other is in the US?

Answer: The parent who is in the U.S. needs to send a notarized statement of consent to the parent overseas. Once all requirements for the child's passport are complete, the child and parent may apply for the passport at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where they currently reside.

by: Anonymous

Question: If the child has a passport and I want to renew it, do both parents have to be present?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. In order to apply for a child's new passport, both parents need to be present when the application is submitted. If one parent cannot be there, that parent must sign a notarized statement of consent plus a photocopy of his/her ID. The applying parent must submit the notarized document with the rest of the application requirements.

New child passport
by: Shazia P

Question: Only I have divorce letter from 8 years ago. The father has no link to us now. I want to travel internationally. How is this possible if I have no custody letter?

Answer: Please speak to an attorney about filing for sole legal custody of your child.

Renewing a valid passport of a minor
by: Anonymous

Question: Can I renew a minor's passport even if it's still valid for a year and a half?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. Having said that, you may apply for a child's new passport anytime.

Passport versus birth certificate
by: Anonymous

Question: When renewing a minor's passport, is the birth certificate still required?

Answer: Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed. You need to apply for a new passport for your child. While you may submit the child's expired passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship, you still need the birth certificate to establish parental relationship.

Passport renewal
by: Anonymous

Question: Do I have to get a new passport for my children that are over 16 and had passports from when they were children that expired already?

Answer: Passports issued to minors or when one was a minor cannot be renewed. Since your children are now over 16, they may apply for new passports on their own.

They can do this by filling out Form DS-11 and submitting it with the following:

1. Evidence of citizenship (birth certificate)
2. Proof of identity (driver's license)
3. Photocopy of ID
4. One passport photo
5. Payment for fees

These documents must be submitted in person at an acceptance facility so an agent an adjudicate the form and witness their oath and signature.

by: Anonymous

Question: So - the DS-11 is used for a minor if it's their first passport or a renewal of an expired one?

Answer: Yes, that is correct.

On Parent in the US
by: Anonymous

Question: What if the other parent has been deported to Mexico, how then does one get a notarized document from the other parent?

Answer: The parent can get the consent form and have it notarized at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!