This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I get a US passport for my daughter who is in India?

by Swati
(Montgomery, AL)

Question: How do I get a renewed passport of my U.S. citizen daughter who is in India now with her grandparents? We, her parents, are in the USA.

My U.S. citizen daughter's passport will expire in June this year so we want to renew it. The problem is that she is with her grandparents in India. They are taking care of her. Both parents are in the USA.

Is it possible to renew her US passport in India without her parents? What documents are needed to renew it? Kindly guide me through it.

I appreciate your reply in advance.

Answer: The grandparents must appear in person with the child at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and present all the regular requirements plus a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents authorizing the grandparents to apply for a passport.

For a list of all requirements, please visit the following web page.

How to Apply for a Child's Passport

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.