This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How do I expedite an expired passport if my BC is lost?

by Ron
(Fairfax, VA)

Question: I have an opportunity to go to the Bahamas in mid-January but I just realized my passport is expired and I lost my birth certificate. I am having trouble getting a copy of my birth certificate. Can I get a passport without it since I have an expired passport issued in 1998?

Answer: A previously-issued passport can be submitted as evidence of U.S. citizenship in lieu of the birth certificate.

Since your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, you can no longer apply for a passport renewal by mail. You would need to apply for a new passport. Note, however, that routine service takes 4-6 weeks and expedited service takes 2-3 weeks. It can sometimes take longer.

In order to get your new passport in less than 2 weeks you either need to visit the Passport Agency in Washington DC or request the assistance of an experienced passport expediting service. Regional agencies process applications from 8 business days to as quickly as the same day.

Return to Expedited Passport Renewal FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.