This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

How can i renew my child's passport if I am not a US citizen?

by pragathi
(Hyderabad,Andhra pradesh,India)

Question: My son, who is a minor, was born in the U.S. and has a U.S. passport. My husband and I live in India and have valid Indian citizenship. We do not have a valid US driver's license as mentioned in step 4 of minor passport. How can I renew my son's U.S. passport?

Answer: The purpose of the driver's license is for photo ID. Your driver's license from India should meet this requirement. In fact, the website of the U.S. embassy in New Delhi states, "For children under age 16, both parents must be present with photo identification to sign the passport application in the presence of a consular officer." Visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for your child's new passport. If your Indian driver's license is not acceptable, they will inform you as to what you can present.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.