This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Hong Kong Travel Information

Hong Kong, a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People’s Republic of China, enjoys a high degree of autonomy, except in the areas of defense and foreign policy, and retains its own currency, laws, and border controls. It is composed of three geographic areas: the New Territories, Kowloon Peninsula, and Hong Kong Island.

Hong Kong Entry/Exit Requirements

A passport and evidence of onward/return transportation by sea/air are required. A visa is not required for tourist visits by U.S. citizens of up to 90 days. An extension of stay may be granted upon application to the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department. U.S. citizens must have passports with at least six months’ validity for entry into Hong Kong.

A departure tax of 80 Hong Kong dollars (approximately $10.30 U.S. dollars), unless included in the airfare, must be paid at the airport. Visas are required to work or study. Public transportation from Hong Kong’s International Airport at Chek Lap Kok to Central Hong Kong (about 25 miles) is readily available, as are taxis. Travelers should exchange sufficient money for transportation at the airport exchange facility located immediately outside the baggage claim area.

For the most current information concerning entry and exit requirements, travelers can consult the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong, Tel. (852) 2829-3001, fax (852) 2824-1133, Internet home page:, or the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China. (See Embassy’s address on page 26.)

Apply online to get your China travel visa quickly.

Expedite Your Passport Now! Click to Call for Expedited Service!

Follow Us!

Travel Resources

Travel Visas for Any Country 24 to 48 Hour Passport Service The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide