This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Fees for a passport book with a name change due to marriage

by Melanie
(Atlanta, GA, USA)

Question: I need to mail in the forms, and other pertinent items for my name change on my passport book. How much will my fees be? My original passport book was issued May 15, 2009. Does it matter what photos are sent in for the picture?

Answer: There is no fee for a name change that is requested within one year of the passport's issuance date. Unfortunately, that is not applicable in your case.

Because it has been more than one year, you must submit the application for a passport renewal by mail. You can access a complete list of requirements by clicking the link below.

How to Renew a Passport

The fee for routine service is $110. Expedited service is an additional $60.

The State Department is very strict about passport photos. It must be recent (taken within the last 6 months), 2X2 inches and taken against a plain white background . There are other requirements. Click the link to read more.

Passport Photo Requirements

Comments for Fees for a passport book with a name change due to marriage

Click here to add your own comments

Page 2 Current last name on application
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello. I am going to change my name by court order and wanted to know when it asks for current name, is that the name currently on my passport, or my new court ordered last name? This is on page 2 of form DS5504.

Answer: Please enter the name printed on your current passport book.

Will my marriage certificate be mailed back to me?
by: Anonymous

Question: Will my marriage certificate be mailed back to me after I send it in as a supporting document to get my name changed on my passport?

Answer: Yes, it will be returned to you. Please expect it to arrive in a separate mailing from the new passport.

Passport in old married name
by: Anonymous

Question: I was married when I got my passport in 2014 and got officially divorced in December 2015. I remarried in March of 2016 and want to know if I am still able to travel with the passport in my old married name even though my driver's license and social security card are in my new married name? If not, would I need to get a new passport or a renewal passport and what would be required?

Answer: You may still travel with the passport in your old married name. Just make sure to book tickets in your old married name to avoid issues. As a TSA rule, names on passports and tickets must match.

Maiden Name on Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I got married 2 months ago and am going to travel to Mexico next month. I've begun the process of changing my name on my IDs including my driver's license with my married name. I haven't changed my passport yet to my married name. Do I need to change my passport immediately to my married name? Or will I be okay traveling to Mexico with my maiden name on my passport as long as the tickets are under my maiden name as well and carry my marriage license?

Answer: Yes, you may travel with your current passport as long as it matches the tickets. There will be no need to present your marriage certificate.

Name Change Info
by: Alissa

Question: I recently got married and I'm applying for a passport renewal that will state my new married name. In the Name Change Information section (Box 11), I checked the box titled "Changed by Marriage". As I understand it, the Marriage Certificate is considered an acceptable supportive document that indicates my name change, but I'm a little confused. My Marriage Certificate states my maiden name (not my new married name), so how is this an acceptable supportive document that indicates my name change after marriage? The only legal documents that I have stating my new married are my Social Security Card, and my New Driver's License - both of which are listed as unacceptable supportive documents for Box 11. Can you please clarify which document(s) I will need to send in with my Passport Renewal Application?

Answer: The marriage certificate also lists your husband's name (and last name) so it is accepted as evidence of legal name change. Please send the original or a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Must passport be changed after marriage?
by: Anonymous

Question: I have six years left on my passport. If I continue to book my travel under my maiden name for the next four years, must I change my passport? I see no sense in paying $110 again if this is not required as long as I am mindful to book all travel in my maiden name. Is this going to cause trouble at the airport?

Answer: You may continue to use your passport in your maiden name as long as your tickets are booked in the same name.

Old Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Will I receive my old passport after I renew my passport and have a name change due to marriage?

Answer: Yes, your old passport will be returned to you once the process is completed. It will arrive in a separate mailing from the new passport.

Passport name change
by: Anonymous

Question: I just paid the 110 dollars a little over a year ago to renew my expiring passport. Going to be married in fall. Not right to have to pay another 110 for another renewal when I have 8 1/2 years left! The cost should be pro-rated!!! A name change is not a renewal!!!

Answer: In order to change the name on your passport, a new passport needs to be issued. It is not possible to simply overwrite the name on the old passport. The $110 renewal fee covers the cost of producing and issuing a new passport. The new passport will be valid for 10 years.

You may continue to use your current passport until its expiration. If you decide to do this, please remember to book your airline tickets in the same name that is on your passport.

How soon do you need to change your name on the passport
by: Anonymous

Question: How soon after changing your name (through marriage) must it be changed in your passport to travel? I'm getting married in early September and leaving for my honeymoon late October. My airfare tickets are all under my current name (not my soon to be hyphenated married name), since they were booked 2 months ago. By the time the marriage certificate is filed and sent back to me, I don't think I'll have enough time to change the name (I'm hyphenating) on my passport in time for my honeymoon.

Answer: Passport Services understands that a marriage certificate is usually delivered approximately 6-8 weeks after the wedding. You can use your current passport to travel with no problems and apply for a name change after you return from your trip.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.