Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Does a minor traveling without a legal guardian need anything more than a passport?

by Janet
(High Point, NC, USA)

Question: My son, 13, has a passport. He will be traveling out of the country with my sister, his aunt. Does he need any other documents, papers etc. and if so, is there a form or specific language that needs to go on a document?

Answer: It is recommended that your sister be provided a notarized consent form that authorizes your son to travel with her and authorizes medical care in case of an emergency.

Here is a model of a form you can use.

Consent Form for Travel with Minor

You should also check the the embassy for each country that your son will visit to see if there are any special requirements. For links to embassies, click the link below.

Foreign Entry Requirements by Country

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!