Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Do we need a passport to take our grandson to Canada for 3 days?

by Robert
(Renovo, Pa, USA)

Question: My wife and I have passports. Our grandson is seven and lives with his mother only. We would like to take him to Niagara Falls for two or three days.

Answer: It is not necessary to get a passport for your grandson in order to take him to Canada. Children under sixteen only need to present proof of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate. You may be required to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the child's parents unless the mother has sole legal custody. There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parents’ names and photo copies of their state-issued IDs.

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport for Travel to Canada.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!