Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Do I need to send in an expired passport that has been reported lost then found?

by John
(Portland Oregon USA)

Question: A year ago I lost my passport. I applied for a new passport and received a replacement. I have recently found the lost passport and it is expired.

Do I still need to send it in to be invalidated? This is important because the expired passport still contains a valid visa and I am planning to travel on that visa. The country I am traveling to (Brazil) allows valid visas from expired passports. Will I be allowed to carry a expired passport that has been reported lost through US customs?

Answer: You do not need to send in the passport. Once you call and report the passport's loss, it is invalidated.

While Brazil is one of the only countries that does allow you to enter using a valid visa in an invalidated passport, it is not advisable in this case. We cannot affirm that you will have problems but it is possible. If you had merely renewed your passport and the old had been canceled, this would probably not be the case. The fact that it was lost could cause complications.

While not obligatory, you are encouraged to apply for a new Brazil travel visa. The Brazilian consulate in San Francisco has jurisdiction over the state of Oregon. It takes 14-21 days to process applications through this consulate. If you choose to replace the visa and need to get it quicker, you can request the assistance of a qualified expediting service. For more information, click the link below.

Expedite Brazil Visa

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.