Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Do I need to renew a passport I received in 2003 to go to Mexico?

by Cynthia
(Addison IL Dupage)

Question: I can't find my passport that I received in 2003. I need to know if I need to renew it because I'm going to Mexico? Is there a database I can access or a number I can call?

Answer: The answer depends on how old you were when the passport was issued. Passports issued to minors (age 15 and under) are valid for only 5 years. If you were a minor at the time you received it, then it has expired and you need to apply for a new one.

Passports issued to adults (age 16 and over) are valid for 10 years. If you were in this age group when you got your passport, it is already expired but can still be renewed. Passports can be renewed up to 5 years after it has expired.

However, you must present the passport when you enter Mexico and return to the United States. You cannot just inform the border agent that there was a passport issued in your name or, even, provide the number. You must present the actual passport.

If your passport is, in fact, lost, then you will need to replace it before your trip. You can report the loss by calling 1-877-487-2778.

If the passport is lost, you will be required to apply for a new passport by submitting Form DS-11 and all supporting documentation. For requirements and instructions, click the link below.

How to Get a New Passport

Note, it takes between 4 to 6 weeks to obtain a new passport unless you expedite the process. Then, it takes 2-3 weeks. If you need your passport faster, you will have to either apply at a regional agency or through a professional expediter. For more information, click the link below.

Chicago Passport Agency

Get Passport Fast

Return to Passport for Travel to Mexico.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!