Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Confirmation of an address that was on one of my old passports

by Philip
(San Francisco, California)

Question: I have been informed that the State of California is holding some "unclaimed" property that belongs to me.

To release the property, the State wants me to prove that I once lived at a certain address, about 40 years ago.

I know I used to have a passport that was issued to me when I lived at that address, but I don't have that passport any more. (I do still have my current passport.)

In order to satisfy the state, is it possible to get some kind of confirmation about the old passport, including the address listed on it?

I am and always have been a US citizen.

You can apply for a passport record which consists of the application for United States passports and supporting evidence of United States citizenship. The State Department does not maintain copies of the passport nor any of its pages.

To request the passport record, you need to submit a typed or clearly printed NOTARIZED request that provides:

1. Your full name at birth and any subsequent name changes and/or the full name;
2. Your date and place of birth;
3. Your current mailing address;
4. Your current daytime telephone number;
5. Your current e-mail address, if available;
6. Your reason for the request;
7. The dates or estimated dates your passport was issued;
8. Your passport number or any other information that will help locate your record; and
9. A copy of your valid photo ID.

A search for your passport record is free with your notarized request. Send the request to the following address.

Department of State
Passport Services
Research and Liaison Section
Room 500
1111 19th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20524-1705

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!