Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Chinese visa requirements for child adopted from China but American citizen

by Lori
(New Jersey USA)

Question: Hi. We will travel for vacation to China. My daughter was born in China, she is adopted and is an American citizen with a US passport. Do I need to submit her original Chinese passport along with her American Passport with the visa application? Many thanks!

Answer: If your US passport says, you are born in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong:

a) You must provide them with old passport OR
b) Previous Chinese visa

No exceptions to this rule.

The consulate will cancel your daughter's Chinese passport and Chinese citizenship and then issue the Chinese visa into her US passport. In the future, if she needs to re-apply, she will need to show only the previously-issued China visa. You need the old Chinese passport only for the 1st China visa in a US passport.

Comments for Chinese visa requirements for child adopted from China but American citizen

Click here to add your own comments

Adoption certificate proof of name change from Chinese to English
by: Anonymous

I went through the same situation. Hope this helps...When a child is adopted, there should be a certification, most likely in a red folder stating the child's Chinese name, and what name it will be changed to after adoption. It is written in Chinese which might be why you can't recognize it. To help you recognize the certificate, it should have a photo of the adoptive parents and the child that you took in China, and somewhere on the bottom, you can see the child's English name.

Certificate of Citizenship
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter was adopted from China and has a Certificate of Citizenship for the United States but she dose not have US birth certificate. Will she need to get a US birth certificate to receive a China Visa?

Answer: Please contact the Embassy of the People's Republic of China regarding your concern.

Chinese adopted daughter
by: Desiree B

Question: My daughter also cannot get a Chinese visa. The embassy wants the original name change paperwork which I never had. She has back 5 times with Chinese passport, US passport, US citizenship certificate, adoption decree, and all Mandarin paperwork. What is the deal?

Answer: Please contact the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC regarding visa issues.

How long for processing?
by: Anonymous

Question: My daughter is traveling to China with her college as an immersion program. She was adopted from China 20 years ago. We have provided all the necessary documents over 2 weeks ago. Do you know how long it normally takes? When the paperwork was dropped off she did not have a pick up date stamped on the form and was told she would receive a phone call.

Answer: Please contact the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC regarding visa issues.

1st time going to China but cannot find naturalization papers
by: AngelaR.

Question: I was born in China and adopted about 20 years ago. I applied for a Chinese VISA recently but the lady taking care of my VISA needs my naturalization papers stating that my Chinese name was changed to my current name (old Chinese passport name doesn't match my current USA passport). My mom said she was never given a copy of those papers. Will it be an issue getting my VISA if I cannot come up with the document that is needed? I sent the VISA lady a copy of the resident alien card that was assigned to me by the USA immigration/naturalization department when I arrived in the USA, will that be okay?

Answer: Please contact the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC for assistance with this issue.

Same situation but can't find passport
by: Jaylyn

Question: My husband and I have planned a trip to China with our daughter that we adopted from China 13 years ago. I have looked everywhere three or four times and cannot locate the passport. I have all of her adoption paper work and documents in big binder enclosed in a box and the passport seems to be the only document that is missing. Is there any way to get around the "no exception" rules?

Answer: Please contact the Visa Office of the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC for assistance with this issue.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Visa FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!