Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Children Traveling to Canada with Guardians

by Marianne
(Sebring Florida)

Question: We have 4 children who have a status of Termination of Parental Rights. They will be in our home for 3 months before we can adopt them. We want to travel to Canada for Thanksgiving. Can we get a judge's court order giving us permission (as we did for foster kids in the past) or do we have to have a passport? If we get passports, can we change their name etc. when the adoption is finalized or do we have to get new passports? Thanks.

Answer: Passports are required for all Americans who travel by air. For travel by land, passports are only required for those who are ages 16 or older. Minors ages 15 and younger can travel with evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a birth certificate and a photo ID.

Note, the Canadian Border Services Agency requires adults who travel with minors who are not their own children to carry notarized consent to travel from the parents or evidence of legal guardianship. In the case of Termination of parental rights, a court order would probably suffice. We recommend you contact the CBSA concerning this issue.

Contact the Canadian Border Services Agency

Concerning the passports and name change, you can apply for a name change after the adoption is finalized. However, minors must appear with both parents or legal guardians in order to apply for passports. If you have legal guardianship, you should have no problem getting the passports. If you do not have legal guardianship, there may be some complications in obtaining the passports prior to the adoption.

Comments for Children Traveling to Canada with Guardians

Click here to add your own comments

travel with minor Vancouver Canada
by: Cora Ferdowsijah

Question: I have legal guardianship of my niece. She is 15 years old. We would like to take a family vacation to Vancouver Canada in June 2015. I read on some comments that if you are traveling to Canada by car a minor doesn't need passport as long I have court document is that correct?

Answer: Canada requires every visitor carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.

You should also carry evidence of legal guardianship.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!