Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Change Minor Son's Name in Passport

by Aime
(San Diego, CA)

Question: I changed my son's first name last year. What forms do I need to file for a new passport? And can I do it through the mail?

I need his passport as soon as possible. I changed his name last September, so it has been well over a year. I am a single mother and the only one listed as a parent on his birth certificate. The passport he has is the passport card.

Answer: You cannot apply for a passport name change for a minor by mail. You need to appear in person with your son at a San Diego passport office or the Los Angeles passport agency.

You will get the passport in 2-6 weeks at the passport office or in one day at the regional agency.

In order to apply for your son's passport, you must submit Form DS-11, evidence of his U.S. citizenship, evidence of your relationship to him, your photo ID, a copy of the identification document and one passport photo.

You also need to present evidence of the legal name change. This must be an original or certified copy of the document which proves his name was changed legally.

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.