Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Canadian Requirements

by LoAn
(Tampa, FL, USA)

Question: I am a US citizen living in Florida. I would like to visit Niagara Falls this summer and plan to fly into Buffalo, NY. However, my hotel has a Canadian address so I assume it is located on the other side of the border. Would I be required to have a US passport? Thank you for your help.

Answer: If you cross the border into Canada, you are required to present a valid U.S. passport when both exiting and re-entering the United States. Since you will be entering Canada by land and not by air, you only need to present a passport card and not a passport book. The application fee for the passport card is less than that for the passport book.

The same passport application form is used for both the book and the card. For information on how to obtain one, click the link below.

Obtaining a New U.S. Passport

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!