Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can you apply for a passport for a child for whom you do not have custody?

by Tamara
(South Bound Brook, NJ, USA)

Question: Daughter's biological mother would like to apply for a passport for her but she does not have custody of her and also does not live with her. Can she apply for a passport for her daughter?

Answer: In order to obtain a passport for a minor, the minor must appear at an application acceptance facility with the person who has legal custody of her. If the mother wants to get a passport for her daughter, she must appear with her daughter at the passport office and submit a written, notarized consent form from the person who has legal custody along with the application form and supporting documents. To find the nearest application acceptance facility, click the link below.

New Jersey Passport Offices

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!