Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can we obtain a passport for our son if the father has no photo ID?

Question: My parents have offered a passport to my son. The problem is his father does not have any picture ID. His driver's license (NYS) was revoked.

He is in the process of obtaining a replacement social security card. Will the social security card and his father as an Identifying Witness be sufficient?

The trip is in 5 weeks.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer: The U.S. Department of State requires both parents present photo ID and a copy of each identification document. The state of New York issues non-driver photo ID cards for citizens whose driver's license has been revoked. For more information, click the link below.

NY Non-Driver Photo ID

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!