This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can we get passports for grandchildren for whom we have temporary custody?

by James
(Hollister Fl.)

Question: We are the grandparents of 3 grandchildren and have court ordered TEMPORARY CUSTODY that has lasted more than 3 years. The children were abandoned by their parents. Can we get them a passport with temporary custody?

Answer: According to the National Passport Information Center, a court order establishing legal guardianship and authority to apply for passport will need to be submitted.

Comments for Can we get passports for grandchildren for whom we have temporary custody?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Diane

Question: My 13-year-old granddaughter lives with me and my boyfriend. Neither of her parents went to court for custody of her when they split up. We want to take a vacation to Canada. How can we get a passport for her? She has not seen her dad in 7 years and does not want to. We do have a temporary guardianship paper that's notarized from her mom giving me permission for medical care, etc.

Answer: The temporary guardianship paperwork may not suffice for a passport application. Either both parents apply with the child or you petition for legal guardianship of the child.

by: Anonymous

Question: We have special guardianship of our grandson and also have 51% parental responsibility. We want to take him abroad but we are concerned that we will have to contact his dad who has not seen him for nearly 3 years. We have permission off his mother but they both have 49% parental responsibility. Do we need to go back to court?

Answer: You can try to locate the father for his notarized consent. If you cannot contact him, you may need to petition the courts for sole legal custody of the child.

My son's passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My 11-year-old son lives with my mom in the U.S. I live in Mexico because I only have a visa. The last time I was there, we went to a notary and I singed a statement saying that I give my mother permission to take any decision regarding my son, his needs and any legal procedure. Can my mom renew my son´s passport? I´m the only one that appears in the birth certificate.

Answer: Apologies for taking a while to respond to your query. We had to do some research to provide you with the best possible advice.

While the document your mother has provides her with authorization, it will be best to still submit a notarized Form DS-3053. This form is specific for passport applications for minors.

Our recommendation is to submit both the form and the statement of authorization with the rest of the child's passport application requirements.

Please call 1-877-487-2778 for more information/advice customer service may be able to provide.

Passport for granddaughter
by: Anonymous

Question: Granddaughter lives with us. We want to get a passport for her but she's not legally ours. Her mother is not with her and she sees her Dad. To get this passport, can she just get a notarized permission from her Dad?

Answer: If the minor is age 15 or younger and both parents' names are on her birth certificate, she needs both parents' consent to apply for a passport. If she is 16 or 17, she can apply with just her father's consent.

How to adopt my twins niece and nephew
by: Anonymous

Question: I have 2 nieces and a nephew living overseas. Their parents died and I am taking care of them. I want to adopt them. What should I do?

Answer: We recommend that you speak to a lawyer regarding legalities of adopting children from outside of the United States.

Can I get a passport?
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm the legal guardian of my three grandchildren can I get them a passport?

Answer: Yes, you can. Please present the court document awarding you sole legal guardianship of your grandchildren when you apply.

Passport Application
by: Anonymous

Question: Can I apply for my grand daughters passport even though I don't have legal guardianship?

Answer: Yes, you can apply for the child's passport as long as you can present notarized authorization to do so from the parent/s or legal guardian/s.

by: Anonymous

Question: My son and daughter-in-law are in Mexico. My grandchild lives with me. Can I get his passport? He is 13 years old.

Answer: You must secure a notarized statement authorizing you to apply for the child's passport signed by both parents. This must be accompanied by photocopies of both parents' IDs.

Please submit the notarized statement and the following requirements in person with the child at a nearby acceptance facility:

1. The child's evidence of U.S. citizenship (original or certified copy of birth certificate)
2. Your ID and photocopy
3. One passport photo of the child
4. Payment for fees

Please note that a minor's passport is only valid for 5 years.

Temporary Guardianship
by: Maria

Question: I am in the process of adopting a child. I currently hold temporary guardianship. The temporary guardianship is valid for one year unless permanency is established sooner. Can I apply to get her a passport?

Answer: A court order awarding legal guardianship and authority to apply for a passport must be submitted.

To get passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm the legal guardian of my granddaughter. Do I have the right to get my granddaughter a passport without her mother's consent?

Answer: Yes, you can apply to get your granddaughter a passport if you have evidence of legal guardianship. For a complete list of requirements, click here.

Apply for passport with grandmother
by: Anonymous

Question: If my grandmother has a notarized letter saying that she has temporary custody of me can she renew my passport? Thanks.

Answer: If you are age 15 or younger, your grandmother cannot appear with you to apply for your passport unless she has sole legal custody. If she does not have sole legal custody, you must either apply with your parents or your grandmother must submit notarized consent from them.

Grandparent custody
by: Anonymous

Question: I have been awarded temporary custody, and waiting for a court date to gain full custody of my grandson. Will I be able to get a passport with only temporary custody?

Answer: Unless you have full legal custody, you will need notarized consent from the parents to get a passport for your grandson.

by: Anonymous

Question: I'm the legal guardian of my grandchild what documents do I need to get a passport for my grandaughter?

Answer: You can find a complete list of requirements for obtaining a passport for a minor here.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.