This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can we get our child a new passport one year before it expires?

by Hassan
(Bradenton FLorida)

Question: Hi, I would like to change my child's passport picture because we are always traveling. Her passport was issued when she was 15 days old. She is now 4 years old. With one more year before her passport's expiration, could we renew it or change her picture on it? We always have a tough time in other countries' passport control whenever we travel.

Could you please advice so we could go ahead?

Answer: You can apply for a new passport for your child whenever you wish; however, you will lose any remaining validity. If you believe that it would facilitate entry into other countries, then go ahead and apply.

Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed by mail. Both parents must appear with the child at a nearby passport application acceptance facility.

Click the links below for a list of requirements and locations to apply.

How to Get a Child's Passport

Florida Passport Offices

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.