This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Can someone in the UK take a vacation to the US with just a passport?

Question: I have a friend in the UK who wants to come to the US to visit for two weeks. Can she do that with just her passport? Or will she have to apply for the Visa Waiver Program?

Answer: Your friend can visit the United States under the Visa Waiver Program if she meets the following requirements.

1. She can present a machine-readable passport.

2. Her passport, regardless of the type, must be valid for six months past the expected stay in the United States.

3. She must obtain authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

4. If arriving by air or sea, she must be traveling on an approved carrier and have a return trip ticket to any foreign destination.

5. Your friend must demonstrate the intent to stay 90 days or less in the United States and demonstrate sufficient funds to support herself while in the United States.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.