Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Can I visit the Canary Islands if my passport expires in 4 months?

by Emma

Question: I have only 4 months left on my passport and am due to go on holiday in the next couple of days for a week. Will I be able to go to the Canary Islands or will I be sent back?

Answer: The Canary Islands are a territory of Spain and, therefore, you must abide by the entry requirements for that country.

Spain is a party to the Schengen agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes without a visa.

Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen Fact Sheet.

Since you will depart next week for a one-week stay on the Canary Islands, it appears that your passport will have approximately three months validity upon your return to the U.S. You need to verify this.

If your passport will have less than three months of validity remaining, then you need to renew it quickly. With such a short time to do this, you only have two options.

One, personally schedule and appointment and submit your renewal application at a regional passport agency. Two, authorize a professional expediter to submit your application for emergency passport renewal.

Comments for Can I visit the Canary Islands if my passport expires in 4 months?

Click here to add your own comments

Passport lapse
by: Chris

Question: Can I travel to Lanzarote if my passport lapses at end of July.

Answer: As part of Spain, the Canary Islands (Lanzarote) requires at least 3 months beyond your planned departure from their country. You need to renew your passport before you can travel.

Get Passport Fast

5 months until expiry
by: Anonymous

Question: My 4-year-old daughter has 5 months left on her passport and we are due to fly to Fuerteventura tomorrow. I don’t know why I didn’t check but I’ve just realized this morning. Will she be ok to fly?

Answer: As part of Spain, Fuerteventura requires at least 3 months of validity remaining counted from your date of departure from their country. Your daughter's passport should still meet this requirement if you're not staying for too long.

by: Tom

Question: Can I travel to Fuerteventura for a week if my passport is due for renewal in March 2020?

Answer: As long as you have at least 3 months remaining on your passport after you leave Fuerteventura, you should be okay. Please contact the airline you are flying with to confirm travel document requirements.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.