Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I visit Canada if I have an old drug felony?

by David
(Thousand Oaks, Ca)

Question: I have a valid passport but I have a 13-year-old drug felony. Will Canada let me enter there country?

Answer: The authority to allow or deny entry into Canada belongs to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Criminal inadmissibility is defined by the CBSA as "a person who will not be allowed to visit or stay in Canada because they have committed or been convicted of a crime in, or outside of, Canada."

Those who are considered inadmissible due to being convicted of a crime may apply for rehabilitation. The objective is to prove that "you lead a stable life and that you are unlikely to be involved in any further criminal activity." Apparently, a request for rehabilitation can only be made five years after the end of the sentence imposed.

The request must be submitted at a Canada visa office in the United States and can take up to a year to process. There is a fee for this which can be either $200 or $1000 (Canadian dollars). The amount depends on the seriousness of the crime and whether it is necessary to obtain authority from the Minister. For more information, click the link below.

Visiting Canada: Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility

Comments for Can I visit Canada if I have an old drug felony?

Click here to add your own comments

Access into CA with Drug Felony
by: HipHopAnonymous

So in regards to this, my drug felony is now four years old. I have tried several times getting across the border via car and airplane. In a car I was denied entering in at the Vancouver entry, three years ago. That same year via car I was allowed in at the much smaller Cartwright entry. I was allowed temporary visitation as well for 6 days for work 2 years ago traveling into Edmonton via air. So reason I decided to write this was because as most legal laws and limitations go not everything is as black and white as they like to think. If you want to go try it but at a smaller entry point. But I will say you won't be able to get full passport book until you take care of said legal issue. However, you should still be able to get passport card.

by: Anonymous

Question: I have a very old felony. Will i have a problem going to Niagara Falls?a

Answer: Canada has stringent rules covering travelers with criminal records. Please contact the Canada Border Service Agency to find out if you will be allowed into their country.

If you are staying in the U.S. side of the falls, you should have no issues.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport for Travel to Canada.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!