Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I use a regular photo of my child for his passport?

by Chris

Question: My child is currently in a different country but since he is a U.S. citizen I have to have his passport made on the mainland, therefore he is not available to take a passport photo. Would it be acceptable to use a regular photo of him or will i have to have him take a passport photo and then send it to me in the States?

Answer: Regular photos are not acceptable. There are very specific requirements for passport photos. Click the link below for more information.

Passport Photo Requirements

Note, minors must appear at the passport application acceptance facility with both parents in order to apply for a passport. Parents cannot apply without their child present. Click the link below for a complete list of requirements.

Requirements to Get Passport for Minor

Since your child is currently outside the United States, he can appear at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general with both parents in order to apply for the passport. If he appears with one parent, the applying parent can submit notarized consent from the non-applying parent. Click the link below to find a place to apply.

List of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!