Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Can I travel to Nicaragua if my passport has than 6 months validity?

by Lily
(SF, CA)

Question: I want to be in Nicaragua from Feb 1-28, and then return to the US. But, my passport will expire on March 15th. It would be valid for my entire stay in Nicaragua but I definitely don't have 6 months before it expires. Will I have problems? Can I go? Some sites seem to say that Nicaragua requires 6 months, yours says no. Which is it? Thanks.

Answer: Although the United States has a bilateral agreement with Nicaragua that waives the six-month validity passport requirement, U.S. citizens should ensure that their passports are valid for the length of their projected stay in the country before exiting the United States.

U.S. citizens are required to have an onward or return ticket and proof of sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens; however, a tourist card must be purchased for $10 upon arrival. Tourist cards are typically issued for 30 to 90 days.

Comments for Can I travel to Nicaragua if my passport has than 6 months validity?

Click here to add your own comments

Passport expiring in less than 6 months
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. I’m traveling on the 17th of August and coming back on the 28th to Peru. I have dual citizenship which means I have both an American and Peruvian passport.

My US passport is expiring on November 28th. Would I have any issue leaving or entering the US? To my understanding, I can use my US passport to leave and enter the US and when arriving in Peru, show my Peruvian passport. I just want to make sure.

Answer: You are correct, you may use your U.S. passport to depart and re-enter the United States and use your Peruvian passport while overseas. Have a safe trip!

exp. passport
by: KB

Question: My niece is going back to Nicaragua, her home country. Her passport expired. Can she still get a flight back? I read that it is at the discretion of the airline. Is that true? My husband is also from Nicaragua, went home on an expired passport and renewed it up there.

Answer: Generally, a valid passport is required to board an international flight. Please contact the airline your niece is traveling with to find out about their regulation regarding passport validity.

Can I travel from USA to Nicaragua with a passaport that will expire in less than 6 months?
by: Joscelyn

Question: I will be leaving to nicaragua on Thursday and today I checked my passaport and realized that it expires on November 16 2016. I will be traveling to nicaragua on the 14 and will be coming back on the 26. Do you believe I can go in with out a problem?

Answer: Nicaragua only requires a U.S. passport be valid for length of stay. You do not need to renew your passport before your trip.

passport expire
by: Ajax

Question: I'm a resident. I need to travel on March 26. Somebody broke into my house. Now, I can't find my passport. I just have one that is expired. Can I still travel to Nicaragua with the expired one then get a new one in Nicaragua?

Answer: You cannot travel by air with an expired passport. You need to apply for a new passport through the Embassy of Nicaragua Consular Services or the nearest Consulate General of Nicaragua. Please contact the embassy for more information. The phone number is (202) 939-6570.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!