Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Can I transfer visa stamps after a passport name change?

by Ashley
(Greensboro, NC)

Question I am getting married in October this year and I am considering changing my last name. However, I recently purchased a passport in September of last year. I have traveled to a couple of countries since then and would really like to keep those visas/stamps and include them in the new passport if I decide to change my last name. Will I be able to transfer my current visa stamps to the new passport with the new last name? I would also like to keep the same photo I have now and not resubmit a new photo if I change my name. Would I be able to keep the same photo?

Answer: Since it will be more than one year since the issuance of your passport when you apply for a name change, you will be required to submit Form DS-82: Application for a Passport Renewal by Mail.

Your current passport will be invalidated and returned to you. The State Department does not transfer visa stamps. You need to verify the requirements for each country for which you have a visa since regulations vary. Some countries allow you to present a valid visa in an invalidated passport as long as you also have a valid passport. This means you would need to travel with both passports.

Other countries require you apply to transfer the visa. Still others require you apply for a new visa.

Concerning the picture, you will be required to submit a new passport photo. Passport photos can not be older than 6 months old at the time of submission.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!