Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Can I renew passport with a little water damage?

by Kaljanea
(Homestead, Florida, USA)

Question: Should I renew my passport that it is not expired or apply for a new one? If yes, will the renewal expire in the same year the old one is supposed to or will it be extended?

-My passport book has a little water damage to the inside cover where the photo and personal information is located.

-It was issued in seven years ago.

-I changed my last name, due to marriage in 2004, but the name change is not reflected on my current passport

Answer: American citizens should only travel using government-issued ID that has their current legal name in it. Since your name was changed in 2004, you should apply for a passport name change before you travel.

Damaged passports cannot be submitted for renewals. Therefore, you must appear in person at a passport application acceptance facility in order to apply for a new passport. For more information, click the link below.

Apply for New Passport

The new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issuance.

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!