Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I renew my passport by mail and use Form DS-82?

by Cecilia
(Cordoba, Argentina)

Question: I am currently living in Cordoba, Argentina. My passport expired 12 years ago. I have been informed that the renewal can be done by mail. What is not clear to me is which form (DS 82 or DS 11) would be the correct one to fill out and if I can deposit the application fee somewhere since I do not own credit cards. Thank you very much, Cecilia

Answer: To apply for a passport by mail you MUST answer YES to ALL three requirements.

• Can present your most recent passport,
• Were at least 16 years old when that passport was issued.
• That passport was issued within the last 15 years.

Form DS-82 is the correct application for a passport renewal. Along with the completed application, you need to submit your most recent passport and one (1) 5cm x 5cm passport photograph to the following address.

Embajada de los Estados Unidos
Sección Consular - Ciudadanía
Cerviño 4320
1425 Buenos Aires

Applications for renewals are processed in 10-15 days. Since you live outside of Buenos Aires area, you need to contact the nearest DHL office to arrange the mailing of the documents and delivery of your new passport (prepay DHL delivery).

DHL Cordoba
Ayacucho 23

However, there is a problem. The only method of payment accepted by the U.S. Embassy for passport renewals by mail is an international credit card.

If you do not have an international credit card with which to pay the $110 fee, then you will have to make arrangements to apply in person at the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires. Click the link below to schedule an appointment.

U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires American Citizen Services

Comments for Can I renew my passport by mail and use Form DS-82?

Click here to add your own comments

Mail in passport overseas
by: Crystal

Question: I'm currently living in the jungles of Peru, and would rather not travel to Lima unless I have to. Do you know if there's an option to solicit a passport by mail to the US Embassy in Lima?

Answer: It appears that the U.S. embassy requires all passport applicants be submitted in person. For more information, contact the U.S. Embassy in Lima.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!