Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I renew my 17 yr old's passport while he is away at school?

by Susan

Question: We are traveling mid-April of next year and my son is away at school. What do I need to do to renew his passport? It expires this month. Does he have to sign or can we sign for him? Do we have to go to a passport office with him to renew? That is not physically possible as he is in a boarding school that does not allow travel except once every four months.

Thank you for you help.

Answer: All minors age 16 and 17 must appear in person in order to submit a passport application. Besides the regular requirements, your son will be required to present a written consent form signed by both parents and notarized. This is usually required for minors under age 16 but also for minors age 16 & 17 whose parents cannot appear.

Requirements to Get a New Passport

1. Completed application Form DS-11 (He should not sign the form until requested to do so by an acceptance agent.)

2. Proof of citizenship (This can be his previous U.S. passport or a certified birth certificate.)

3. Proof of ID (This can be his previous U.S. passport or a valid driver's license.)

4. Photocopy of identification document (Copy must be on 8 1/2" x 11" white paper. Both sides of the ID document must appear on one side of the paper.)

5. One passport photo (Photo must be recent - taken within last 6 months.)

6. Pay applicable fees. (Passport book - $95 application fee plus $25 execution fee)

Your son may be required to establish his relationship with his parents. This can be done by presenting a certified birth certificate.

For more details, visit the web pages below.

How to Get a New Passport

Form DS-3053 - Parental Consent Form
(Each parent should complete a form)

Your son should take the application and supporting documents to the nearest passport application acceptance facility. Regular processing takes 4-5 weeks. It can take less or more time depending on the demand. Expedited service takes 2-3 weeks. There is an additional $60 fee for this service.

List of Passport Offices by State

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!