Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Can I re enter the USA on my expired passport?

by Barbara
(St. Maarten)

Question: I am residing temporarily out of the country and need to return for medical reasons next week. My US passport is expired. Can I come back into the USA with an expired passport?

Answers: American citizens are required to re-enter the United States with a valid passport. You need to renew your passport before you travel. If your passport was issued less than 15 years ago and is not damaged, you can do this by mail.

You can mail the application to passport services of the U.S. Embassy in Barbados which has jurisdiction over the French West Indies or to the U.S. citizens services of the Consulate General of the United States in Curação which has jurisdiction over the Dutch side.

Routine service takes 15 working days. If you are traveling within 15 working days, and you can provide proof of this travel in the form of a paid travel itinerary, you may apply for an emergency limited-validity passport.

Return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!