Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I obtain my passport in Puerto Rico?


Question: If my Florida birth record and SS card show my first and last name (father's surname) the same, and in Puerto Rico it is customary to use the mother's surname (driver's license, school records, etc), can I still obtain a passport with these two documents in Puerto Rico?

Answer: While you must present your social security card at the time of application, this document is not acceptable as either evidence of U.S. citizenship or proof of identity.

Your Florida birth record is acceptable as proof of U.S. citizenship as long as it has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth.

While a valid driver's license is acceptable as proof if identity, it must have your current legal name and match the name on the passport application.

Other documents that can be used as primary evidence of identity include a previously issued passport (undamaged), a government-issued ID or a military ID.

If you do not have any of these documents to prove your identity, you can use secondary evidence. For a list of acceptable documents, click the link below.

Proof of Identity

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!