Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I get my minor child's passport suspended?

by Chris
(Columbus, Oh, USA)

Question: My ex-wife lied to me to get me to sign off for my son to get a passport. She asked me to sign so she could take my kids to Honduras to see her get married to her deported boyfriend. Instead, she sold everything she owned and took my son out of school and went to Honduras. Now she has to come back and I know as soon as she can go back she will take my son out of school again and go back to Honduras without my permission.

Answer: The United States government has established numerous laws and implemented several projects in order to prevent international parental child abduction and punish those who commit this crime.

One of the principal means of prevention is the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program. Since your child already has a passport, the program would only alert you if an application was submitted for a renewal.

The State Department does not revoke passports that have already been issued to a minor. If you believe that your ex-wife will abduct your son from the U.S., you can ask a court or your attorneys to hold the child's passport.

For more information and preventative measures, click the link below.

Guarding Against International Parental Child Abduction

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!