Important Due to Covid-19, processing times have been exteneded to 10-12 weeks for routine service and 4-6 weeks for expedited processing.

Can I expedite a passport if I'm replacing a limited passport?

Question: Hi, my passport is limited because I lost my previous two. I was told that the person in charge of renewing my passport would make the decision whether I am to be given another year-long passport or a full-validity one.

I'm contracted to work abroad (in China) for another year, and I need to extend my work visa, but my current passport expires in February next year. I'll be home in the US for about a month in July/August. I'm hoping to expedite my passport so I can get another work visa for China during that month so I can leave on my scheduled date. Is this possible?

Also, the visa I'm hoping to get requires 6 months validity for my passport, which I will have on my old one if I were to apply now. Would you recommend me getting my visa in my current passport before I renew it, or would renewing my passport invalidate that visa?

Thank you!

Answer: Yes, you can expedite the replacement of your limited-validity passport. There are a few ways to do this since you will be in the U.S. for a month.

You can request expedited service when you mail the completed application form and other required documentation to the address on the form. This method takes 2 to 3 weeks to get your application processed so it is probably not the best option given the fact you also need to obtain a visa.

Another option is to visit the nearest regional passport agency. You first need to schedule an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778. You can get your passport replaced the same day using this method. To locate the agency nearest you, click the link below.

Regional Passport Agency List

Finally, you can apply through a professional expediter if you cannot visit a regional agency in person. Expediters are registered with the regional agencies and have experience in obtaining passports quickly. To apply online for this service, click the link below.

Apply to Expedite Passport Replacement

Replacing your passport will not invalidate your visa. However, it would either require you to carry two passports (the old one with the visa and the new valid one) or apply for a request to have the visa transferred to your new passport. Applying for the China visa after you replace your passport would avoid this.

Note, professional expediters can obtain both your passport replacement and Chinese visa for you. The advantage is that you do not have to visit or send your documents to two different locations.

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!