Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Can I drive there and have my name changed on my passport?

by Jeannie
(Zeeland, Michigan)

Question: A group of us are leaving for Mexico in 4 weeks. Three of the girls have passports in their maiden names. Can we drive down there and have their names changed on their passports instead of sending them away and paying the $60 expedite fee?

Answer: Regular passport processing takes 4-6 weeks so you must expedite the name changes if you want to get the passports in time for your trip. Whether you send the request by mail or submit the application at a regional Passport Agency, the $60 fee will have to be paid for each passport. Note, you can only visit a regional agency if your trip is within two weeks or less. Expedited services by mail takes 2-3 weeks. Also, if the names were changed more than one year ago, the girls will have to apply for a passport renewal. There are additional requirements and fees for this service. If the person was a minor when she received her current passport, she would have to apply for a new passport.

Comments for Can I drive there and have my name changed on my passport?

Click here to add your own comments

DID passport office lose my marriage certificate?
by: Deana

Question: I sent my marriage certificate to the passport office to change my name, and have yet to get it back from the passport office. It is the ORIGINAL, as this is what they require. WHERE IS MY DOCUMENT?!

Answer: Hello, Deana. If you just received your new passport, the supporting documents should already be on its way to you. Documents sent with a passport application are sent in a separate mailing.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.