Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Can I change my name in my US passport from outside the US?

Question: I have recently married a UK citizen and live in the UK on a work visa. I would like to change my US passport to my new name but do not have plans to be in the US any time soon. Can I send my passport in for a name change without being in the US?

Answer: You can send your application for a passport name change to the U.S. embassy in London.

If your passport was issued more than 12 months ago, you should follow the instructions for routine passport renewal.

Submit the following by Royal Mail Special Delivery or via the Embassy's appointed courier service:

* Your most recent United States passport;

* Original marriage certificate.

* Passport application form DS-82: Please ignore pages one and two of the printed instruction pages, as they do not apply when applying for your passport in the United Kingdom. Follow the instructions on this page. Form DS-82 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do NOT print this form on front and back of the same sheet.

* One recent passport photograph

* Fees: The application fee is U.S. $110.00.

If your passport was issued within the last 12 months, you may follow the instructions below.

Submit the following by Royal Mail Special Delivery or via the Embassy's appointed courier service:

* Your current U.S. passport;

* Your original marriage certificate;

* Passport application form DS-5504: Please ignore pages one and two of the printed instruction pages, as they do not apply when applying for your passport in the United Kingdom. Follow the instructions
on this page. Form DS-5504 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do NOT print this form on front and back of the same sheet

* One recent passport photograph;

* Fees: There is no fee for this service.

Applying by Royal Mail Special Delivery

Please submit your passport application, along with all supporting documents and photos, only by using the Royal Mail "Special Delivery" service (available at any UK Post Office). Please do not use the regular mail service. Your envelope should be addressed to:

Passport-by-Mail Service
American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy
5 Upper Grosvenor Street

To ensure the safe return of your passports, you should also enclose a pre-paid Special Delivery self-addressed return envelope that shows postage paid up to 500 grams. Inquiries regarding Special Delivery Mail should be directed to your local Post Office. As the Embassy does not keep track of Special Delivery numbers, you are advised to keep a record of your Special Delivery tracking number so you can track your passport's return to you.

Applying via Secure Mail Services (SMS)

SMS will collect your documents, deliver them to the Embassy, and return them to you once processing has been completed. Detailed information on SMS services and booking is available by calling 0871-562-6666.

Processing Time

An application for a full-validity (ten years for adults) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow 15 working days for your application to be processed.

If you are traveling within 15 working days and can provide evidence of this travel, you may be eligible for an emergency limited-validity passport.

Comments for Can I change my name in my US passport from outside the US?

Click here to add your own comments

This was easier than what happens "back home" Stateside
by: Pamela Sztyblewsky

Doing it this way was a no-brainer. I married overseas, sent in the marriage certificate with the passport through the US Embassy, no problem. Problem is when you get back HOME Stateside, nothing will accept US passports as evidence of your identity (identity meaning "NAME" which is a difficult concept for Americans and the various state and local governments to understand apparently no matter how many court cases you can win against them). The ORIGINAL marriage certificate resting with the Passport office in the "record" is now the problem. As I married overseas, another "original" would necessitate dealing with the Embassy of that country and at the moment that country's Embassy is taking "forever" as its government is currently busy waging war against its neighbours. So I have a current updated Passport, am in the US being treated like some sort of "identity thief" and worse off than an illegal alien.

Can I add Middle Name to U.S. Passport?
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. I would like to add a middle name to my child's name who is still a minor. Can I do this at the U.S. Embassy? And get a re-issue of birth certificate with the new name change and passport. U.S. Embassy originally issued my child birth abroad.

Answer: Please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information about services available to U.S. citizens.

Name Change on Passport
by: James

Question: I have a U.S. Passport and have lived in Germany for 3 years.

I am thinking of changing my surname, as no one here can pronounce it and I tire of spelling it every time I introduce myself (in Germany, you say your family name when shaking hands or answering the phone) or call someone on the phone.

Can I change my name in my US passport from outside the US?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Answer: You can only request to change the name in your passport if you have legally changed your name. When you make the request, you must submit a document that proves the legal name change. This means that you would need to apply for a court order name change before applying for your passport.

Many states in the United States allow you to assume a legal name by usage. However, you have to use the name exclusively for a period of at least 5 years before you can request the name be added to your passport.

Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Germany for more information about services available to U.S. citizens.

Spouse Visa
by: Jennifer

Question: I am a US Citizen Living with my husband and daughter in the UK. I am here on a Spouse Visa which expires in December of this year. I just sent my application for passport renewal to the US Embassy in London. My passport and visa were issued in my Maiden Name. My new passport will reflect my Married surname. I will still need my visa if I travel and re-enter into the UK. Will I need to get the visa placed into my new passport? If so, how do I do this? Does it matter that the visa will be in my maiden name?

Or can I just use my current passport and invalidated passport (with the visa)?

Answer: You need to contact the UK Border Agency concerning visa regulations. The contact information is provided below.

Phone: 0870 606 7766



Address: UK Border Agency, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, Surrey CR9 2BY

Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 09:00 to 16:45, Friday 09:00 to 16:30 (excluding public holidays).

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility.

Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC.

A registered expedited passport courier can often assist in obtaining a passport as quickly as the same day. You can learn more about this service here.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!