Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Can I change my full name in my US passport from outside the US?

by Syeda
(Karachi, Pakistan)

Question: I have a dual Nationality USA/Pakistan. I have recently gotten married in Pakistan and after my marriage I have changed my full name in the Pakistani database. I have my marriage certificate and all the relevant data to support it.

I want to change my full name as per my Pakistani national Identity Card from Pakistan. Please guide me to how to go about this.

Answer: In Pakistan, you can apply to have this name change reflected in your passport at the U.S. Consulate General in Karachi. U.S. passports are no longer amended to change items appearing on the data page so you will receive a new passport.

If the change is within one year after your passport's issuance, submit a U.S. Passport Re-Application Form (DS 5504), together with the passport that needs the change, your original marriage certificate documenting the change, and new passport pictures. There will be no charge for routine processing.

If the passport was issued more than 12 months ago, you should follow the instructions for routine passport renewal. In this case, the fees will apply.

Comments for Can I change my full name in my US passport from outside the US?

Click here to add your own comments

Does the marriage certificate need to be translated?
by: Pauline

Question: I'm in a similar situation. I will be updating my name on my passport from Brazil, where I got married (and also have dual citizenship). My question is, since I will be applying for a new passport from a Brazilian embassy, can I use the original marriage certificate in Portuguese as proof of the name change or do I need to get an official translation to English?

Answer: Hi, Pauline. You may not need a translation but it will be handy to have one ready in case it is required. Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia or any of the U.S. Consulates General in Recife, Porto Alegre, Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo for more information.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.