Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I apply for a passport for my daughter who is a green card holder?

by Guddy

Question: She has had a green card for 5 years. Both parents are citizens living together. Can we apply for a passport for our daughter or do we have to apply for the citizenship certificate first? Pls help.

Answer: U.S. Passports are only issued to U.S. citizens. A child born outside the United States automatically becomes a citizen by virtue of the naturalization of his or her parents if the child is under 18 years of age, possesses a green card and resides with his or her parents. Minor children who obtain Unites States citizenship by derivation, do not need to participate in the naturalization ceremony.

Of course, any child born in the U.S., automatically obtains United States citizenship. From the description you provided above, I believe that you can apply for a U.S. passport for your daughter. For complete instructions, click the link below.

Apply for Passport for Minor

Comments for Can I apply for a passport for my daughter who is a green card holder?

Click here to add your own comments

by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I wanted to ask if its possible that a little kid with green card, take the US passport cause he turned a year old in US even if he he was born out of it. I heard of this by sb and wanted to make sure.

Answer: The child needs to be a U.S. citizen in order to apply for a U.S. passport. It does not matter where he spends his first birthday. Please contact the USCIS regarding citizenship.

Passport for my daughter
by: Mah

Question: My daughter has a green card for 10 years and I want to make for Her citizenship and passport. How can I do that? Hope you help me.

Answer: First, you need to contact the USCIS to establish her citizenship. http://uspsg.net/citizenshipthroughparents

Once that is done and she has proof of citizenship, you may apply for her passport.

Under 18 years old
by: Atef

Question: We all born out of the USA, my son is 17 years old. His mum and I are citizens and he’s holding green card for more than 5 years. We are all living together. I need to issue a USA passport for my son, does he need to be a citizen first or we can apply for him to get his passport?

Answer: You can apply for your son's passport by virtue of your citizenship. Please contact the USCIS for more information.

Travel documents
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello, my kids are green card holders and I am going to send them out of the U.S. for more then 1 year. Is it possible? I mean is it okay if they will be absent more than 6 months out of the U.S.?

Answer: Please contact the USCIS regarding your concern.

by: Cpall

Question: Hi. Can I apply for my children's US passports? I am a US Citizen by birth and my husband just got his green card. So, are my two girls (6 and 7 years old) automatically citizens?

Answer: If your daughters were born in the United States, they are US citizens by birth. If they were born abroad, whether or not they are US citizens depends on whether or not you were "physically present" in the U.S. before your children's births for a total period of at least five years, two of which had to be after your fourteenth birthday. If your daughters are US citizens based on either of the criterion listed above, you can apply for their passports.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!