Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can child and parents appear at a passport facility or must they go to a regional passport office to apply?

by Blake
(Bloomfield, New Mexico, USA)

Question: I am getting a passport for my son who is 5 months old. It says my wife and I need to apply with the baby in person. Can this be done at my local post office (Bloomfield, NM) which is listed as a New Mexico Passport Facility or do I need to travel to Aurora, CO with the baby?

If I do need to go to Aurora I would like to set an appointment on Thur, Aug 12 because my family and I will be in the area that day on other business. Otherwise we will have to make an extra trip and it is 8 hours away.

So in summary:

1. Can I take him to the local Passport Facility to meet the requirement of the baby and family being in person?
2. If not, can make an appointment for Thur, Aug 12 at the Colorado Passport Agency in Aurora?

Answer: You can appear at a local passport application acceptance facility in order to apply for a passport for your son. For a list of facilities in your area, click the link below.

New Mexico Passport Offices

Note, however, that the soonest you can get the passport is 2-3 weeks and that is if you request and pay for expedited services. If you need to obtain the passport sooner, you can either visit the passport agency in Aurora or go through a professional expediting service.

If you would like to expedite the passport at the Aurora Colorado Passport Agency, you first need to make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778. Appointments are not made via email.

If you do not have time to travel to Aurora or prefer not to, then you can get professional expediting service starting at $60. For more information, click the link below.

Expedited Passport for Minor

Comments for Can child and parents appear at a passport facility or must they go to a regional passport office to apply?

Click here to add your own comments

Unable to accompany spouse for passport application of our child
by: Anonymous

Question: I'm unable to go to the regional office to apply for my child's passport who's less than a month old. Can my spouse apply on our behalf without the presence of myself and child if I provide a notarized consent letter?

Answer: Yes, your wife can apply on her own as long as she presents a notarized consent from you with a photocopy of your government-issued ID.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!